CDM Revenue Codes: What Are They and Why Are They Important?
Revenue Codes are probably the least understood coding set used for facility claims. Silos of knowledge about revenue codes are common in hospitals:
- Billing knows claim edits for revenue codes
- Managed Care Contracting knows payer terms specifying revenue codes
- Finance knows cost reporting utilization and roll-ups
- CDM team knows reference recommendations on revenue codes
- Clinical areas may not know anything at all about them
Better understanding about revenue codes across the continuum of impact areas will lessen the likelihood of a negative financial impact from that assignment of the revenue code to charge lines in the CDM.
- Understand what revenue codes are and why they are in the CDM
- Identify the sources of information about revenue codes
- Recognize and resolve common revenue code problems
- Explain how revenue codes impact hospital payments and cost reporting
- Determine best practices for managing and maintaining revenue codes in the CDM
Margene Holak, MHA, COC, CRCR, Customer Success Manager, Craneware
Craig Taylor, Data Integrity Consultant
You might also like...
Join Craneware Revenue Integrity Executive Lisa Tonkinson on this complimentary educational webinar covering common revenue integrity gaps that frequently develop between the teams and systems managing the hospital’s CDM, Item Master and...read more
Correctly generating charges is one of the most important aspects of a hospital’s financial health, and today’s reality of complex clinical to charge system linkages in modern EHR platforms means that the integrity of your hospital’s charges is no...read more
Many health systems and hospitals’ plans include converting their main EHR platforms to a new vendor such as Epic, Cerner, MEDITECH, or others, or upgrading their existing EHR systems to a new updated version. When undergoing a large project like...read more