St. Joseph’s/Candler is a 714-bed, national Magnet-designated facility for nursing excellence, with a focus on the latest technologies and research. St. Joseph’s Hospital and Candler Hospital are the anchor hospitals for the not-for-profit health system serving 33 counties in southeast Georgia and the South Carolina Low Country. It is the largest and only faith-based institution in the region.
Like many health systems, St. Joseph’s/Candler in Savannah, GA was grappling with the complex issue of pharmaceutical reimbursement in an old fashioned way: trying to resolve challenges via spreadsheets, emails and phone calls. Pharmacy and finance personnel had great rapport, but worked in silos. Similarly, data resided in a variety of separate systems, which were difficult to audit. Coding issues, incorrect multipliers and new drugs missing from the formulary meant that the organization was missing opportunities for optimal reimbursement and increasing compliance risk.
- Both hospitals were able to address coding issues and incorrect multipliers on pharmacy charges
- The software identified a coding error that led to $126,884 in missing charges over a 6-month period
- Seamless integration with the hospitals’ MEDITECH health information system
- The technology created a framework to enhance organizational workflow
- The team is now proceeding with auditing their formulary as well as 340B pricing and purchases
“From a financial perspective, Pharmacy ChargeLink delivers all the pieces you need and puts them in one place to resolve issues. We’ve seen a great ROI on the decision to purchase this tool. The user interface is very friendly. There’s a logical flow to it. It makes sense, it’s prioritized, and it’s just a really slick tool to get you where you need to be.”
Margaret T. Govelitz, MBA, Revenue Integrity Manager